Narrowband

M31 Part 2 WIP 6.75 hours

Earl

Here I am again with my M31 project.

6.75 hours of Data now 81 300s subs QHY8L Revelation 100ED, Sky-Watcher Flattener, Guided with PHD on my EQ6

This image also has my fixed Bias Frames the change was very noticeable.

Colour is not perfect yet, but the detail is getting much better. I think the HDR wavelets were a touch iffy.

I aim to hit 10 hours.

post-19346-133877663684_thumb.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Once again im very disappointed now I'm viewing this on my work PC.

Earl_UK,

Its very difficult to work between PC's unless the monitors have been calibrated with the same software under the same conditions.

I try to work between mac's and PC's which is murder. Besides the different gamma settings the colour of the mac screen is different to the PC (or vis versa).

Even just carrying out the windows calibration occasionally helps.

Adobe Gamma will go a long ways toward calibrating your monitor. I have found that most monitors, like most television sets, have FAR TOO MUCH intensity to have a realistic image. Contrast, brightness and chroma are all adjusted to the vivid side.

I stated that I like slightly elevated chroma and contrast, but one can very easily go too far with it if he isn't careful ! And an unbalanced monitor is NO HELP !

Jim S.

The 'before' image has those those great Gendler colours that I can by no means replicate so how did you do it?? The newer one is out on colour, as you say. I think green is the culprit, as usual. Have you tried SCNR on it in PI? But there is so much to admire in these pictures. Good stuff.

I can't get HDR wavelets to do anything for my pictures and I don't really like it on the official PI demo video either to be honest. I may keep plugging but I like wavelet sharpening and deconvolution in the cheap Asta Image Ps plug in, along with bog standard Unsharp Mask in Ps. The all need applying only to selected parts.

Olly

That some incredible photography.

The colour is much more richer and attention grabbing in the newest update. The dust lanes in the spiral arms are possibly the only thing I think the colour is slightly out, they've lost a tiny bit of the detail from the first pic, the red hues from new star birth etc.

Really looking forward to your final update and might steal as a wallpaper :)

I was working on it last night with 80 darks instead of 40, it has brought the noise down, but overall im still not happy witht the colour, I have a few ideas, I know i really pushed the satuaration on the first one, so if i can get the same on the second I hope to bring much more out.

The 'before' image has those those great Gendler colours that I can by no means replicate so how did you do it??

Olly

I did that by using masked saturation boosting as show in Harrys vids, and also boosted individual channels at the same time with Curves.

I did feel that it was way over done so did not do it on the second image.

Perhaps I should. (thinking about it i seem to remember that as the HDR Wavlettes had not worked to well on the core the saturation was making the core into a blob.)

I think it will need a background desaturation and inverse Starmask desaturate after.

Is it possible to have a Starmask and a Background mask at the same time?

I Star aligned the two different Fits from the 21 sub integration and 81 Sub, Integrated 3 21's and 2 81's then tweaked the curves and saturation to give something in between which i think is the best so far

post-19346-133877664179_thumb.jpg

Yikes, that's pretty darned exciting! I love the core but the arms, to me, are a bit duck egg blue and would be better a little darker. iId use Ps, Selective Colour, Blues, for for gawd's sake don't tell Harry!

It's a very feisty image. Whatever you do keep the linear data because, as you come back to it after a year or two's experience, you will want to reprocess.

The image has something to say.

Olly

Man that is great work ! However, if I were to be "picky", I think I like the sky background in the 1st of your most recent efforts. It seems to be just a bit "blacker" and that galaxy pops out from the background.

I LOVE the detail in the core. That is smashingly good ! Don't fiddle that away !

I trust you are keeping archives of all your intermediate results, so you can go back if things go astray !

Fantastic effort! Keep it up, you are the envy of many of us "wannabees" !

Jim S.

Progress report.

Im now trying to get the Outer Arms, I have the core on the left edge of the sensor and im trying 600s subs to try and pull out them to their true extent, this might be a struggle but should be worth it.

Archived