Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meteor shower 17/09/11?

Was out with the bino's during a break in the clouds last night, and observed about one beautiful meteor every two min. They seemed to be radiating from ursa minor region with a few more southerly exeptions. We watched for a couple of hours till about 11pm when the clouds rolled in.

Any info?

Eta Draconids, period August 28-September 23, peak Sept. 12/13

Might fit. The radiant is sort of between Ursa Major and Ursa Minor and a bit to the left.

Not sure (as in forgot to look) what the peak rate is said to be, would expect less then you saw but you could have gotten lucky and seen a nice burst of them.

The area of the sky is about right but the timing is not. The Draconids are due to peak on 8 October this year, and only for one hour. Canadian astronomer Paul Wiegert has announced this year could produce a much higher rate than usual: up to 1000 per hour! The Moon will be bright though so don't hold your breath just yet.

I did think of Draconids, but I too had read they were due to peak early October, which is why I am a bit miffed.

Maybe just a lucky preview of good things to come!

Would be interested to see if anyone else noticed them, it was quite a show!

I was wondering if there was some kind of shower, I was out last night with the binos and in rest periods (NECK ACHE ahh) I was surprised I saw 4 meteors! Perhaps, in a short period of time about 30 minutes. Although it was unusually clear, I suspected maybe this is the norm, just don't get to see them. Mind you, moon was really beaming so must have been fairly bright.

Was out with the bino's during a break in the clouds last night, and observed about one beautiful meteor every two min. They seemed to be radiating from ursa minor region with a few more southerly exeptions. We watched for a couple of hours till about 11pm when the clouds rolled in.

I noted them behaving like this too Vic&Al.

Any good places to check out forecasted showers?

Does the Eta bit not appear on your browsers?

September Radiants

Eta Draconids August 28-September 23 Sept. 12/13

October Radiants

Draconids (GIA) October 6-10 Oct. 9/10

Never said Draconids.

Sorry Ronin, I didn't really read your post, but I do note the Eta bit. I like the links you posted for the meteor showers. Thanks.

Anyway, very jealous not to have seen anything like this! I haven't witnessed a decent meteor shower since staggering out of a pub in the early hours of the morning - over ten years ago! I must dig out the arctic sleeping bag and spend a night outside...

Archived