Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Guide scope

The boss has allowed me to spend some money on a new scope etc up to £1500 (something to do with birthdays with zero's in them). Whilst I'm into imaging I also want a scope to visually use. So I though maybe get a LX90 (second hand --£700 ish) and start there (I know field rotation is a problem But I could get/make a wedge later) My camera is a HX516 so doesn't have anti-blooming anyway. Will add a ED80 later. However I do have several questions

How would you spend £1500?

The other option is a HEQ5 Skyscan + something?

A EQ6 mount?

Sorry hit a the wrong key

Here's the rest of my thoughts

Ultimately I suspect a Eq6 with a Mak/SCT for visual and an ED80 for imaging would be the best option however this pushes the price up.

And finally re the subject of the thread

What would be a suitable guide scope? ie how cheap can I get away with?

Is a LPI suitable to guide with?

I could use the HX516 to guide with but would then have to get another one (shame!!) but which one? (perhaps leave that for another thread)

Cheers

Rob (novice at this imaging malarky!!)

Startravel 120 scope

EQ3-2 motorised

Hx516 camera

What about a 200mm Newt. sat on an HEQ5 with an ED80 piggybacked on it. You can use either for imaging and the other for guiding that way.

WRT a guide 'scope, an ST80 is good as its fast enough to give you lots of guide star options and quite cheap. I use a 500mm T mount telephoto lens which I've had for years. They are still available via E-Bay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/500-800-1600mm-Tele-Lens-DIGITAL-f-Canon-EOS-350D-20D_W0QQitemZ320101514096QQihZ011QQcategoryZ30070QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

HTH

Captain Chaos

Archived