The big yellow maplin power pack

Hi Gaz, to breath new life into the lead acid battery in these chargers use a optimate 4 charger and conditioner, I have and use them they are the business. Buy Battery Chargers - Lead Acid & Automotive OptiMate4 auto maintainer-charger UK TecMate TM-142 online from RS for next day delivery. They are able to bring them back from the dead when showing only 2volts :( I have brought batteries back that have shown 5 volts, never as low as 2 but seeing is believing, and I have seen it do it many times. They are great.

I still stand by my decision to go for 20Ah gel cell batteries and an electronic triple stage charger. They are now five years old and still going strong.

I think those "powerpacks" are a false economy.

We should have a poll to see how long the "average" powerpack lasts.....

Just my 0.02 euro

Just one anecdote of Wednesday one week ago.

My bike tyre had a puncture. After fixing it I thought it would be quicker to bring it up using the built in pump of the power pack.

After a few seconds the normal pump rattle sounded a bit strange and then full stop occured. I brought the unit in and used another one.

Coming back in again - strange smell, somehow electric. Clicking noises out of the power pack, which proved to be the smell source as well.

So I had to throw the unit out onto the grass, and after putting protective gear on I started dismantling the beast feeling like a bomb disposal guy ! :(

When I got it out I noticed there must have been a fault in the chipboard, and luckily the battery was not shortened. But still frightening ...

For my EQ6 I bought a 75Ah leisure battery instead. Much better system, and also quite neat as I bought a weather proof box with it with a proper on/off switch and socket.

Archived