Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

cgem users

space3

I use the polar scope with EQMod. It is a very fast accurate way for me to polar align.

I have used the polar align thing with celestron hand sets, it was fine but a bit of a faff.

There is a little program available FOC called Polar Finder IIRC. This has a small graffic of the polar scope markings and shows where the 'little' circle should be placed...... Here is a link to a download site.... Free Polar Alignment Software Download Polar FinderScope by Dr. Dale Jason Version 2.04

If it is only for visual use then a very rough polar alignment is usually fine, i.e. putting polaris in the fov of the polar scope.

HTH,

Gary

Hi Space3,

I have the CGEM and use the "All-Star" alignment.

rough polar alignment is maintained by only loosening one of the Az adjusters when breaking down previously, and positioning tripod onto washers epoxied to the patio.

Then just do a two-star alignment, and then straight into "polar alignment".

Takes a few minutes only. Remember to resync your mount again by doing a further two star alignment after you have polar aligned.

I did this and had jupiter tracked on screen with an SPC900 for an hour before it was partially out of frame. Not sure how accurate this is, but plenty good enough for me at the moment.

very useful if polaris is obscured and there are clear skies to the south & east like we had over the weekend.

Gary i have that program, i used it when i had my cg5 mount, its very good, thanks,

i dont have a polar scope in my cgem but their cheap, i may get one, very quick to use,

scubamike it works well for you for visual, but i wonder if one was imaging for say 2 minutes exposure, would a polar scope be a better alignment?

Archived