Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venus & Pleiades 11 April

moondog

Nice image Trevor, looks like you had less haze around Venus than I found.

Did you use a driven mount, as you managed 6 secs with a 300mm lens?. My 135mm focal length lens was on a standard (non driven) photo tripod and I got trailing over 5 secs.

8)

MD

Hi MD

I just had the camera on a standard tripod, will try again tonight on the HEQ5, had the lens at 300mm that’s about the equivalent of 450mm on 35mm SLR I think.

Yours must have been about 200mm equivalent, cant notice very much trailing in your pic.

Trevor, that's why you had small amount of trailing then.

On the Celestial Equator the trailing is at its worst. Somewhere I have a guide as to what trailing you're likely to get with a fixed tripod and different DSLR lenses. I took several test shots and zoomed into them on the LCD screen. I got slight trailing at 6 secs and backed off to 5 secs and I could see no trailing. The stars were round but as I say, Venus showed a slight haze.

MD

Archived