Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 2011-09-10

Cloengaa

Tried my second attempt at imaging Jupiter tonight. My vieving from the balcony is very bad for the SPC900. I can fine get details in my eyepieces, but the light pollution here is awfull.

To give you an idea, here is my two pics taken today. The weird thing is I have not set my cam to be B/W but still it seems to capture Jupiter in B/W, how can this be ?

I did get the bands though. This is just my SPC900 in the focuser. I dont dare to use any kind of barlow when my mount only have RA motor and I havent figured out to polaralign it.

Scope: SW Explorer 130m

Cam: SPC900

Mount: EQ2 with RA motor not polaraligned.

post-24305-133877659808_thumb.jpg

post-24305-133877659812_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I don't know about the B/W, but ragarding the polar allignment my experience is I just use a compass to set things up. Quite often it's enough. For using the barlow I find "drift alligning" very easy and precise and can keep planets easily in the fiel of view or Webcam, although it's hard to center at first (I keep things out of focus while centering cause the light image from the planet looks bigger and is less difficult to get into view).

So with my Eq3-2 which only has a RA motor it's not too hard to follow the planets at high mag. and I've never even looked trhough a polar finder (don't own one).

Just try :)

Your images are in colour, it's just difficult to see it.

You need steady skies to image the planet.

For a larger image, you will need a Powermate, or Barlow, which will make image acquisition more difficult for you, and polar alignment plus accurate drive will make it easier to keep the target on the chip.

Therefore, I would concentrate on those two issues prior to your next Imaging attempt, it will pay dividends, and make your life easier.

I'm not sure your mount is up to High resolution imaging, so you may have to lower your expectations.

Having said that, someone is going to say I'm talking rubbish :).

Good luck with your next attempts.

Ron.

Archived