Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beginers dilemma

Ok I had decided on a CPC9.25 XLT as our first scope but after the appearance of the Deluxe version and the pricing issues I am not so sure. I would like to have a scope for my wife's birthday 24/10 and preferably to be able to take to the peak star party. So I have 3 choices to consider

Get a simple small scope eg Celestron NexStar 102 SLT which I will eventually use as a scope for an auto guider then I can wait and watch for promotions on a bigger scope.

Chosse a main scope for viewing and get that now choosing between:-

Sky-Watcher Skyliner-350P FlexTube SynScan and

Celestron CPC 925 GPS (XLT)

There is a couple of hundred £ difference between the two but I am allowing for spending more on EPs if I get the Dob. Both scopes will fit in our estate car (I Think).

I have some ideas of pros and cons for both of them but I am sure that there are many I am missing. Please could you give me your list of pros and cons between those two. Thanks all.

The big question to ask is whether you are wanting a scope to observe with or one to image from as you mention in passing the words 'auto guider'. The Skywatcher will be a great observing tool with plenty of aperture for those faint deep sky objects. Equally the Celestron will make a good imaging scope which I assume comes with a mount? What makes a good observing scope will not necessarily provide the best option regarding any imaging, so you will need to choose which interest should take priority. You are correct in assuming these different designs have particular advantages and disadvantages in themselves, but the demands of imaging will place another level of criteria which might involve looking in another direction altogether.

James

Hi I am considering these scopes as viewing only, I am aware that the SCT would make a nice planetary imaging scope, but I am considering my imaging seperately - in around 12 months I will look to buy a guide scope and camera and probably both a wide field 80mm APO and a 115-127 longer focal length APO, then use them with both my DSLR (have that now) and a cooled CCD camera which I estimate I will get around 6 months later. These will sit on a CGEM, with these plans I think the CPC or DOB would only be for viewing.

The 9.25 is a superb all-rounder. Great views, not too large or too heavy to use easily, and does a tremendous job on deep sky, lunar and planetary stuff.

If you had only one scope for a lifetime of enjoyment, this could be it. That's not to say you won't get the equipment bug... that is really contagious! But you really could spend a lifetime with the 9.25 and never run out of wonderful things to see.

Dan

Archived