NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mallincam Xtreme-need feedback please

Vali x

guys, i am really considering to get myself this camera, but i need some feedback for owners of this camera/brand. i intend also to update the chip with EXview one, so it could be more sensitive. i dont know if i will have enough focus length to add a focal reducer(my C10 has a native f/4.7), i need to find someone here in Montreal that will allow me to find out. i read tons of materials regarding this camera. so, fire at me any feedback/thoughts....any is welcomed !

PS:what kinda accessories you advise me to get also to do a better job ! just keep in ind that i didnt won to lottery so don't advise me some couple k $ items !)

Getting "lunar" camera that supports longer exposures may be sometimes better than TV/Video (you do the imaging the same way - by colecting a lot of short and semi-short exposed frames but the analog to digital converter is in the camera and is of higher quality than usual USB TV/Video converters and they are not limited by TV video lines limit).

There is DMK41/31 (but it's not ExView HAD CCD), there is French iNova with better ICX445 and long exp too, some also use Unibrain Firewire cams that also have long exposures.

Focal reducers and Newtonians don't work nicely. I did test the 0.5x filter threaded and DMK21 (1/4" small CCD). To focus in a Newtonian I had to use low profile clamping ring in the focuser and short nosepiece for the DMK to get ~0.4-0.45x reduction factor. Even while in focus - the edges of the field were distorted.

Those cameras are something that I've occasionally considered many times over the years, but never quite taken the plunge ...

Presumably you've sampled the delights of NightSkiesNetwork and seen the results of "real-time" images that people broadcast there?

One thing that I've noticed about the regular broadcasters is that they get very nice images - but they tend to use long exposure times: minutes, and also have the cameras attached to pretty big scopes - 11 and 14 inchers. With all those photons being needed to get a nice shot, I can't rid myself of the impression that the cameras aren't especially sensitive (compared with more normal LX, cooled, CCD cameras) and that other, cheaper HAD/Exview implementations would be just as good.

@Doc: i asked the same question there, still waiting..:));i read several positive feedbacks and coming from owners of 8 or 10'' telescopes.

@riklaunim: i was advised about the focus issue,still need to try some experiments on my own

@pete:i visit NSN on a weekly basis, so yeah, i was hooked. and i assume i can get close to those images, since i have a 10''..and the camera could help me by getting rid of some LP (because i dont have much time to travel at least 2 hrs outside Montreal to get some dark skies )

i am still pending- the camera and accessories worth more than my present setup ! so i need to be extra sure about it

thank you anyways

Archived