IC5070; The Pelican Nebula

astrovirus

Last night (September 3rd 2011) I had a friend of mine over to show him my workflow in imaging. We took a shot at The Pelican Nebula in Cygnus, which was also a good test for my modified 350D.

Image detals:

11x10 min (1hr50min) ISO1600, 7 darks, 40 flats, 20 bias, captured by Nebulosity 2.3.0.

Pre-processing: DSS 3.3.0 (Kappa-Sigma)

Post-processing: Nebulosity (Color Balance/DDP) and CS3 (Levels/Curves/Saturation/Carboni tools/HLVG)

TEC temperature at 15°C with ambient dropping from 25°C to 20°C during the session.

OTA: Skywatcher BKP2001 8" Black line Newton F/5

Mount: Skywatcher NEQ6-pro controled by EQmod/CdC

Guiding: QHY5/9x50 Finder guider/PHD

Camera: TEC + Baader ACF self-modded Canon 350D

post-19333-133877658349_thumb.jpg

Cracking indeed. I wish I could get friends and students to come over more often. There is something really nice about sharing these things with someone else; maybe because you have a witness to the fantastic things you can pull out of the sky.

Thanks guys,

@Olly, yes, I was amazed how this came out, especially as the single subs were only just showing a bit of brighter part of the pelican's neck/head. But during data reduction an d processing it started to reveal itself in all it's beauty. Another supprise was that the 10 min subs even leave room for longer ones as they weren't at all showing signs of saturation due to lightpollution. Seems my backyard isn't all that bad afterall, even though I live in one off more light polluted parts of the North Eastern part of The Netherlands, with greenhouses to my South and East and the city to the North. But luckely our appartment building is shielding a lot of this LP, although it rises up quite high. Makes me long back to France again, well next summer for sure.

Combining Ha with RGB is something I'm planning for the future, when I get myself a nice Ha-filter though.

Regards Tim

Archived