NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finding comets

Beardy Bob

Having just missed out on another great opportunity to image a comet (C/2009 P1 Garradd) because of a mixture of poor weather and not knowing about it until the last minute, I was wondering if there was a reliable program, website, etc that gives reliable and up-to-date information on regular comets and new ones as soon as possible. I find Cartes du Ciel very patchy when it comes to comet data.

By the way, you have to make sure that CdC has the opportunity to update its comet database. It should do it automatically, but if you go to Setup > Solar System > Comet > Load MPC file, it will automatically download the latest orbital elements.

I'll have a proper look at CdC later. I don't use it for actually finding comets in the field (e.g. via EQMOD) I just use it to show me what is around on any given night.

It shows Garradd so it's clearly pretty up to date, but like I say, it seems a bit 'patchy' as to what it shows. I'll check its databases. Are there different options as to where it gets its information?

Having just missed out on another great opportunity to image a comet (C/2009 P1 Garradd) ....

You haven't missed the chance, the comet is still about. I was imaging it last night. It's slowly moving towards Hercules at the moment, so get out there and have a go.

Dave

Thanks Dave, you haven't seen the weather forecast here for the next week though! I had one night last week that was perfect and it was nice and high and I didn't know about it - arrgh!

Anyway, I'm tracking it in CdC now in the hope I can grab some time on it if there's a clear spell. Fingers crossed!

Archived