NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

LCD Timer Remote Switch question?

Hello,

I currently use a manual remote switch, which allows me to press once to flip the mirror, then after waiting 1-2 secs to allow any vibrations to disperse press again to open the shutter.

I want to buy

LCD Timer Remote Switch control cord cable fits Canon EOS 10D 20D 30D D30 40D 50D 1D 1Ds 5D 7D as RS-80N3

to automate my sessions more, this will free up more of my time to spend getting to know the night sky. My question: Can I lock the mirror up out of the way using the timer before setting the session to take for example 25 subs, 5mins length with a 1 min gap between each sub? Or will the mirror flip before each shot and therefore introduce possible vibration?

Cheers,

PH-R

I borrowed one once but it's 350/1000/550D's that i use...

I'll have a read of the 10D manual .. but honestly I have never bothered with mirror lockup as faint dso's are my thing and the scoep setup , pier and its foundations are very solid...

PDF of the 10D user manual from here...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CD0QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cleaningdigitalcameras.com%2Fpdf%2FEOS10DIM-EN.pdf&ei=eGtmTsD3EojD8QODrN38CQ&usg=AFQjCNFcqspnSkjEPg9GCBuaqxuCJFe89w

It's on page 94 (and 149) bof the user manual and is setup under custom function 12 set it to 1 if the timer remote doesnt support mirror lockup directly you might need to combine the external remote with the self timer mode on the camera (on page 77 of the manual) ...

YOu turn the self timer on and add 10s to the exposure time on the timer remote... when the timer remote tries to open the shutter the mirror will lockup and the self timer start when the self timer runs out the shutter will open and stay open until the timer remote drops the shutter...

Thank you for the replies. Billy, I have gone for one being sold on ebay for £16 odd delivered so thxs for the link.

Now just need to wait a couple of weeks for some clear skies :-(

Best wishes,

PH-R

i got the 300d which is the cheaper version of the 10d at the time.

i actually use one very very similar (identical but with a different port) usally set it at 25 seconds delay (for any vibrations and me to get out of the way) long is how long you want each sub to be, interval is how long between each shot and n is how many pics you want to take

for example 25 seconds delay,......30 seconds sub,.....30 seconds interval,.....and 5

sadly i dont know about the mirror lock as its only activated by installing a modded system onto my camera,

hope this helps!

the time between the shot and interval is usally nessary as it allows to camera to cool down a little (so you dont get as many "hot pixels"

I borrowed one once but it's 350/1000/550D's that i use...

I'll have a read of the 10D manual .. but honestly I have never bothered with mirror lockup as faint dso's are my thing and the scoep setup , pier and its foundations are very solid...

PDF of the 10D user manual from here...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CD0QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cleaningdigitalcameras.com%2Fpdf%2FEOS10DIM-EN.pdf&ei=eGtmTsD3EojD8QODrN38CQ&usg=AFQjCNFcqspnSkjEPg9GCBuaqxuCJFe89w

It's on page 94 (and 149) bof the user manual and is setup under custom function 12 set it to 1 if the timer remote doesnt support mirror lockup directly you might need to combine the external remote with the self timer mode on the camera (on page 77 of the manual) ...

YOu turn the self timer on and add 10s to the exposure time on the timer remote... when the timer remote tries to open the shutter the mirror will lockup and the self timer start when the self timer runs out the shutter will open and stay open until the timer remote drops the shutter...

Thank you again. Remote arrived today. I followed your instructions and I'm glad to report it works a treat!!

Archived