NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

down grade so to speak?

ok i have a HEQ5 pro synscan mount and i mount a 200p on it and as im getting into AP im thinking i add a ST80 a guide cam and a dslr am i pushing my mount too much?

so my question is should i go down to the 150pds? to save weight?

i would like your veiws (theres a 150pds in the for sale section and im tempted)

but im so use to having the 8inch newt will i regret it?

i would think the better option if you already have the 200p is to upgrade your mount to say the NEQ6 as you might regret downgrading in aperture later on,the other option is to make a steel pier like i did,i could hang an elephant on this and theres no movement .

IMAG0072.jpg

if you want all the specs for the mounting plate i can supply them,it took me and a friend about 2 hours to make and the fitting parameters are the same for the EQ5 as they are for the HEQ5.

You will be right on the edge of the mount's operational envelope with the 200P and ST80.

The first rule of AP is Mount. The second rule is MOUNT and the third rule is M O U N T. I think you are approaching the problem from slightly the wrong angle - the HEQ5 would be fine with a couple of 80mm refractors so that would be a great solution but if you want to use larger telescopes then a heavier duty mount would be a better bet - I am not sure that the 150 is the right way to go.

Think carefully about the sort of objects that you want to image - if you like nebulae then an HEQ5 and a wider FOV instrument like a small refractor would be a good choice. If you are more interested in galaxies and planetary nebulae then a longer focal length instrument on a more substantial mount would be a good bet.

A solid pier will outperform a tripod base but this alone will not be enough to 'beef up' the system on its own.

The HEQ5 is a very capable mount, you're just pushing it a little too far for more serious AP.

i thought so but i really dont want to go down to a 150pds an OAG will it save enough weight?

an OAG will it save enough weight?

Notwithstanding the potential grief involved in using an OAG (especially with a Newtonian - think inwards focus travel) this could just tip the balance back in favour of the HEQ5/200P whilst giving good tracking without differential flexure.

The finderguider makes no difference - you're just using the finderscope as a telescope. The camera is connected the same way regardless.

The usual camera is the QHY5, which has its own ST4 port built in.

There are two options:

1) USB from camera to PC, ST4 from camera to mount, select "on-camera" in PHD

2) USB from camera to PC, PC connected to mount with EQMOD cable, select "ASCOM" in PHD

If you already connect your PC to the mount anyway, the second offers you a solution with one less cable.

1) USB from camera to PC, ST4 from camera to mount, select "on-camera" in PHD

how do i do st4 from camera to mount if theres no st4 port on the camera. i was hoping to use a web cam as a guider to get going

or should i just get the qhy5?

Archived