SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saturn from tonight

Chubster

Here is my effort tonight. This one is 200 out of 600 frames stacked without processing.

image.jpg

and this one with wavelets applied.

image.jpg

I just could not get focus tonight and thought it was seeing but now I am thinking it could be my Barlow. :D

All processing comments appreciated

Chub

I can see Cassini and banding in that on Chubs.

Have you checked the collimation on the scope since you got it from Rob ?

What settings did you use for the image last night ie frame rate/gain etc

Seeing is the problem mate..

I took loads of AVI's last night and most were way out of focus.

Just dug out the good ones which is a tad tedious to do.

Just keep cracking away at it and hope for a better night before Saturn goes :D

I just could not get focus tonight and thought it was seeing but now I am thinking it could be my Barlow. :D

Chub

What barlow do you have ? I have been using a 4X imagemate. This gives me an effective focal length of F24.

Not sure of the quality of this barlow but several other imagers are using it.

Settings - 10fps , gain fairly high to focus then remember to reduce slightly before imaging.

Focus - After adjustment let the scope settle , check again , can you see the cassini division ? if not tweak the focus a bit more.When the image settles start recording.

It just takes time to get everything set up. I tried to rush things at first. Also the processing art is just as important as image taking and this takes time to master.( still trying hard with this myself :D)

John

What barlow do you have
Its the Meade x2 #126 I believe. So that makes my scope f20 is this correct? Do you think I could push it further ?

Think I was using 5fps will give it a go at 10

Just keep cracking away at it and hope for a better night before Saturn goes

Before it goes....GOES...goes where....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Its the only planet I get to image from my garden.....now your telling me its going :D.....

People said this astronomy was expensive but I didnt imaging having to move :shock: But I just got too

Have you checked the collimation on the scope since you got it from Rob
had a quick check seemed spot on will have another look tonight
Actually thats pretty good
Thanks Trudie....especially coming from a "imager of the week" :D Well done again

What barlow do you have
Its the Meade x2 #126 I believe. So that makes my scope f20 is this correct? Do you think I could push it further ?

What scope are using for your images. Is it F5 or F10 ?

John

C8 SCT f10 so thats f20 with the barlow. Will it cope with x3 Barlow? Bearing in mind Toucam is equivalent to 6mm EP Cant rememeber how to work out the max mag

F20 should be ok.(you could try a 3X) I used to go the F30 when I had a 10" telescope many years back.

You might be better off with an APO barlow - Meade 140 or the Celestron Ultima or similar clones.

John

Good image.

I think that the seeing is the problem right now and no matter how much you focus you can't seem to quite hit the sweet spot.

I use the Celestron Ultima Barlow which is excellent both visually and for imaging. My large scope is only F4.8 so I generally need to use a 4x Imagemate to get a reasonable focal length for imaging.

I'm starting to move towards using eyepiece projection as it seems to yield better result and with a 10mm or better eyepice it also gives a larger image scale.

By the way, I think a Toucam is more equivalent to a 4mm eyepiece rather than a 6mm.

Geoff

Archived