Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

FPS

Chubster

Can someone do a dummies guide to Frames per Second and shutter speeds for me....

I was out tonight trying to get some images of Saturn. I had a go at 20fps at 60 seconds and K3ccd only dropped a couple of frames. I then dropped down to 5fps but this time it dropped over half of them :D

I am right in saying that more frames per second is better or does it depend on what your imaging? Also...

I was using 1/25 shutter speed (just because that is what MartinB has put in his very useful primer) but dont really know what the different shutter speeds achieve.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but at least if I get a response I will have them all in a nice handy place :?

Cheers

Chubs

More frames per second means more to proccess when you get back in...

BUT..

The Toucam is a USB1 device and so to cope with the higher frames per second settings

it heavily compresses the images to try and keep up with the flow of data.

Above 10 FPS you will loose lots of detail so 5FPS is best and 10 is OK with lots more

frames captured.

Don't worry how many the software drops, just takes loads of them

HTH :D

My settings for planetary are usually 1/33 and 5fps.

It works for me as I rarely (if ever) drop any frames. I'm not sure if the computer you are using makes any difference as I had to buy a brand-new laptop after a disaster with my trusty old Sony Vaio.

Geoff

Archived