Correct coordinates

Don't know how I did it, but I think a double click on the mouse over your back garden in Google maps will give the precise co-ordinates.

I certainly got them from google maps, and adjusted them to within a couple of metres from my normal set up position.

yep if you use Google maps and zoom in as close to your garden as possible then point at your observing location i.e. the patio and right click and say get direction from here. the little box on the left hand side of the screen will now have a set of numbers in that is your coordinates location. only in decimal. i am not sure what format Synscan req's the data in decimal or deg mins sec. if you do need to convert it to deg mins secs and that can be done here.

Convert Latitude / Longitude in Degrees/Minutes/Seconds to/from Decimal (FCC) USA

it will be the converted co ords you will require if it requires in deg mins sec.

or another way in Google maps is to click the little cog ( top right of maps page) and select "maps labs" and scroll down to the bottom then enable LatLng marker. Now when in Google maps "Satellite" view select you observing location and right click at the bottom of the list you will see "Drop Lat Lng marker" do that and it drops a little box on screen with the co-ords in though you cant use the must oe copy the co-ords highlight the text and use Cntrl&C to copy them with the keyboard shortcuts. get that date converted if required as shown above

Archived