First attempt sketch NCG 457

spaceboy

My first ever attempt at sketching DSO's. OK it's not a skill demanding nebula or galaxy but it still made for an enjoyable variation on my usual observing.

Dotted 00:00 hrs, 23.8.11 (not 21st as originally thought) in 127 Skymax at x68

For me NGC 457, Owl cluster, ET cluster mad for an interesting object to view as I could make out what would be two long arms and the obvious larger brighter stars as eyes. Two separated stars I had as ET's stumpy feet and a small cluster of stars makes for a body. There is noticeable colour to the stars in the cluster but being a pencil dotting sketch I was unable to show this.

I will definitely give it a go again in the future as it felt for a more relaxing way of picking out details of a cluster rather than trying to take it all in, in one go visually. (if that makes sense)

Nice to see sketching. Whilst clearing out the cupboards I found an old observations log which I had sketches in from the early 90's. 457 is one of my favourites and as I am scanning my scope across the sky I instantly recognise the 2 stars of the owl cluster. I must get back to sketching! :)

Thanks for the comments guys. It's no Rembrandt but it's nice to see at least my efforts are appreciated. Just wish there was some free software to spice it up a bit with diffraction spikes and halos. $60 just to put a couple of lines on seems a bit excessive.

Nice sketch, I really envy you guys with the necessary skills to do this.

Thanks for the comments guys. It's no Rembrandt but it's nice to see at least my efforts are appreciated. Just wish there was some free software to spice it up a bit with diffraction spikes and halos. $60 just to put a couple of lines on seems a bit excessive.

Have you tried The Gimp.

Archived