Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tripod ideas for 70mm travelscope

Hello All,

I have a Travelscope 70mm and currently no tripod - I'm ignoring the flimsy tripod that came with it - so I need something to use this Autumn.

I have borrowed a Star 63 camera tripod but TBH it too was wibbly wobbly and so frustrating. I could not be bothered to set up at times. :rolleyes:

Could anybody recommend a not too expensive tripod for this 'scope please? I have considered the AZ4 with a view to using it for a bigger OTA but have changed my mind as I will be going down the Dob route. OVL advertise some Horizon tripods and I've considered the AZ3.

Thanks

Tim

I used to have a Manfrotto tripod (can't remember which one) with a Manfrotto 410 geared head. Wasn't very intuitive to use, which detracted from enjoyment in using it, but worked a treat. Also had a telecue pod mount, which was utterly delicious! Not sure how you'd go about mounting a non-Televue telescope on it though, but must be a way.

Hi Tim,

You could try the Horizon 8115, FLO are doing them at £80 at the moment. I use one of these with my Megrez and it's certainly stable enough.

Cheers

Neil

Thankyou neilm,

I was looking at that very tripod. after my experiences with the cheapo Star Tripods I guess that I will have to spend around £80 for a stable tripod for my very modest 70mm.

If I EVER reach 50 posts :) I could find a used tripod rather than continue looking longingly at my underused 'scope.

Thankyou neilm,

I was looking at that very tripod. after my experiences with the cheapo Star Tripods I guess that I will have to spend around £80 for a stable tripod for my very modest 70mm.

If I EVER reach 50 posts :) I could find a used tripod rather than continue looking longingly at my underused 'scope.

Thanks Osbourne one nil for your reply - I think I need something veeeeeeeeeery simple to use!

Tim

I got a Horizon 8115 for my giant binos.

Appart from the level meter not actually having any LIQUID in it (wasn't too worried about that on a bino mount lol), it can hold about 5kg (my binos are 4.5kg ish).

For quick setup it is probably a good choice and reasonabily priced.

It can also extend pretty high and has a spring loaded shoe, extra shoes cost about 6 GBP from FLO including delivery.

To whom it may concern........

Please excuse this and my previous post above this one! I don't fully know how to use the 'quote' feature correctly. I was trying to include two quotes in the one post! :) Sorry!

Mind you, I have reached 50 posts now............ I think...........:(

Archived