Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Repainting OTA

Kaminovs

Hello,

I am about to repain my new newtonian OTA

Any recomendations from who already done it?

Was it better to hold vertically or horisontally?

Any tips andtricks to avoid mistakes?

Any usefull info apreciated!

Only general advice for painting anything like this. Strip it down to just the tube (ie remove the mirror, spider, focuser, finder and shoe where it fits, and if they come off, the rings at each end, so you end up with just the tube. Mask off ether end, keeping the masking tape around 1/4" from the end of the tube.

I would place the tube on end so it's vertical, and then having used dry 1200 grade wet n dry paper to flatten the existing paint, give the tube a coat of suitable primer (grey car primer if doing dark colour) - spray the tube from the top, with short bursts, keeping the can vertical but the strokes horizontal, and try not to get too close. If you get a run, wipe it down, then when dry sand it down again and go over it.

Once dry, lightly flatten the primer with dry 1200 grade wet n dry and then apply two or three top coats, lightly rubbing them down between coats. Lastly, give the tube a coat of clear lacquer, either satin or full gloss depending on your preferences.

Once complete, let it dry for a day or so to really harden, then re-assemble the components.

This is the process I used when painting one of my model helicopters

AS350%20.jpg

But same practice can be applied to the scope

Yep, good advice. Strip everything off and lay aside. Mask from the inside. I stood mine vertically and sprayed up & down on mine. I put 2 or 3 layers of primer on and about the same in paint.

I would leave it at least a week before reassembling to be honest, in a warm room or sunny window to cure the paint and lacquer. It takes AGES to harden up.

If you're using Halfords paints and lacquer you'll find that car waxes and polishes bring a fantastic finish - but don't apply until a few months later.

Ant

Archived