SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Roll-Off Observatories

Morning,

Does anyone have any experience with roll-off observatories? I've seen a couple of adverts in Sky at Night, but wondered if anyone had dealt with any companies or had any advice.

Cheers!

Most folk convert standard garden sheds (lots of threads on here about that in the DIY section). "Off the shelf" observatories tend to be quite expensive in comparison. Additionally most folk prefer to make their own either to fit their own ideas or, more often, to fit the available space and budget!

Well having just built one, Its not a bad as I originally thought it was going to be Im no fan of DIY, But I will say that by the time you add up all the little bits it does start to rack up the cost. not including time.

• 1 month later...

Folks

Take care on Alexandra Observatories - I am 27 weeks wait into what was to have been a 10 week wait. I have had so many promises and now they have disappeared off the face of the earth. See other threads, no one can get hold of them at the moment, and they have my deposit, it seems others are also experiencing the same...

I considered various options and being impatient opted to build my own. This was the end result

64048d1311450046-observatory-build-underway-landscape.jpg

The build process is covered in this thread http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-observatories/140015-observatory-build-underway.html

This has given me a decent sized observatory and combined office / warm room - and for about half the cost of a commercial option

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

It has finally arrived! Very high quality and a great observatory. There was a time when I thought it would not happen, but Nick has now delivered. While communication has not been the strong point, the final result is stunning and worth every penny.

Folks

Take care on Alexandra Observatories - I am 27 weeks wait into what was to have been a 10 week wait. I have had so many promises and now they have disappeared off the face of the earth. See other threads, no one can get hold of them at the moment, and they have my deposit, it seems others are also experiencing the same...

Archived