Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Grrr!

ChrisEdu

I was all set to have a look outside this evening, after I had said goodbye to a friend that had come round for fish 'n' chips and a film. :)

Anyway, they left about 11pm and the sky was beautifully clear, so I popped inside to sort a few things out before heading back to the garden.

I had a beautiful view of the sky, lots and lots of stars visible to the naked eye. So, I thought I would try to ascertain my viewing conditions. I popped inside to start Stellarium and have a play to see what I could see outside and compare to the screen display.

Before I knew, the cloud gods had read my mind and done their work! :rolleyes: Not happy! I had a feeling that my conditions were good enough to see to about level 4, possibly evening 3 with some time to adapt.

Don't fret too much. Happens here all the time! I guess you guys on that side of the pond have very similar sky conditions to us over here on the U.S. East Coast. Ya gotta get out into the western deserts before you start seeing that bright Milky Way all the way down to the horizon!

Shame ! Jim

Your'e not wrong,

A perseid could have smashed me in the teeth the other night without me, or anyone else catching sight of the blighter.

Still, if the sky gets no worse than it currently is, I may stay up into the wee hours for an NGC-athon.

Clear Skies

Mick.:)

Your'e not wrong,

A perseid could have smashed me in the teeth the other night without me, or anyone else catching sight of the blighter.

Still, if the sky gets no worse than it currently is, I may stay up into the wee hours for an NGC-athon.

Clear Skies

Mick.:)

Is that IOW, I spy? I spy the IOW from one of my local spots! :(

• 2 weeks later...
If only we had some western deserts to go to here! :)

True, we have some "western deserts to go to", but they are a LOOONG way from here !

Ever hear of the "Texas Star Party"? Some members of our club drove out to it, and they thought they had arrived when they crossed the Texas border. Little did they know that they still had another day's driving ahead of them !

The U.S. is a BIG country ! :)

Archived