calling skymax 150 owners

Planning on getting one of these myself. I understand they take 1.25" EPs (most things do, surely?) and even a 2" EPs up to about 30mm. My intention is to use it a specialized lunar/planetary scope with occasional forays into the smaller DSOs.

The couple of people I have asked have stated that image shift was not significant on their OTAs, but I've also heard stories tht early versions of the skymax 150 had more problems with image shift.

I don't think that many people own these scopes. The 127 variant is only a little smaller in aperture but much cheaper, lighter and more portable, and less thermally challenged. And it seems those looking for something bigger skip the 150 in favor of the 180.

I've just bought one secondhand a couple of weeks ago although I haven't had a chance to use it in anger yet. It has a 2" eyepiece connection with an adapter socket for 1.25" eyepieces. I've only carried out a test run on some terrestrial objects so far but there is no mirror flop that I can detect. It's also very easy to mount mainly due to the compact dimensions.

I'll have a go at Jupiter and the moon as soon as I get a clear sky and report back.

I have one of the older gold ones (which is up for sale soon;)).

There is a little image shift due to the mirror but nothing too bad.

I have a crayford SCT focuser on the back of it and it works a treat, really fine view of the moon and decsent focal length for the planets.

Hope that helps

Had a bash on Jupiter last night in Paisley's light polluted skies, the forecast for the next 5 days is for manky skies so I thought I might as well do a post now.

The seeing was rubbish too last night but in the few moments when it cleared up I was able to get some superb views with the 150, the decently long focal length really makes a difference here. The only thing that I would say is that Jupiter was really bright so I'm maybe going to invest in a filter or two. Here's hoping for decent weather late October when big J's in opposition.

There was absolutely no sign of image shift on my scope as Woody describes but it does seem to be something that other 150 owners have reported.

Hope that's of some help. Not an extensive test by any means and there are probably more expereinced 150 owners out there.

Archived