DIGITAL SLR CANNON SETTINGS FOR NIGHT EXPOSURES

sharkytroy

HELLO EVERYONE HOPE EVERYONE IS GOOD

I HAVE A QUESTION FOR NIGHT TIME PHOTOGRAPHERS WHAT IS THE BEST SETTING ON AN SLR FOR LONG EXPOSURES SO THERE IS NO NOISE ? OR THE BEST SETTINGS

I USE A 5 D MARK 1 FULL FRAME AND A WIDE ANGLE 2.8

I WAIT YOUR INPUT .........GOOD EVENING TO ALL

YOU WILL NEVER GET "NO NOISE",ITS IMPOSSIBLE.

SETTINGS VARY DEPENDING ON LIGHT.

A BRIGHT AURORA SHOT WILL REQUIRE A SHORTER EXPOSURE AND LOWER ISO THAN IS REQUIRED TO CAPTURE THE DETAILS OF THE MILKY WAY.

DIFFERENT CAMERAS HAVE DIFFERENT NOISE LEVELS AND ALSO THEIR OWN ISO SWEETSPOT SO OTHER THAN TELL YOU TO HAVE YOUR APERTURE FULLY OPEN OR PERHAPS F4,THE EXPOSURE TIME AND ISO SETTINGS ARE VARIABLE BECAUSE THEY ARE LIGHT DEPENDANT.BIG DIFFERENCE IN FULL MOON AND NO MOON SKY LIGHT.GO OUT AND EXPERIMENT,ITS THE BEST WAY TO LEARN.

thanks both for your message but could you tel me what time exposures you need

i know if its a moon its different but i use cannon 5d mark 1 with a wide angle 2.8 i have tried 5 mins 30 mins and 2 mins on L Setting lower than 100 iso

what iso settings and times did you use for your pictures thanks you can email me email address removed thanks for helping

Sharkytoy, there are so many variables that come int play with astrophotography that we cant just give you what you want.

Variable to consider - seeing, subject, tracked or untracked, guided or unguided, focal length.....and the list goes on.

It sounds like you are trying to shoot with your camera and lens on a static tripod? If so, depending on focal length, you be limited to short exposure lengths, say around 30s.

BTW, it comes across better if your post isnt with the caps lock on :)

HTH

Archived