NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jovian system - just for fun

rocketandroll

Hi folks

Please don't treat this as a serious planetary imaging attempt :-)

After frustration trying to get my guider working tonight I thought I'd finish the night by snapping Jupiter with the DSLR through my Megrez72. Yep, great combination for planets! :-)

Anyway, I found if I took the exposure length up to 30 - 40 seconds I could see a LOT of moons.

Obviously Jupiter itself looks like a burnt out star, but I'd be interested to know how many moons I've got (a few stars are showing too) and which are which?

Can anyone help identify them?

Thanks all, and especially thanks for your patience as a dumb DSO imager clogs up your forum of otherwise lovely pics of Jupiter :-)

Ben

post-23494-133877649055_thumb.jpg

Cool, thanks for that! That covers the big four... is there anywhere that lists the apparent locations of any of the smaller moons? I've had a look online and can't find anything about any of the 60+ smaller moons that would in any way help identify them in an image from a known date.

There are lots of very small dots in the image within the apparent orbit of Callisto that could be moons, or could just be stars... would be great to know what they were :-)

Anyway, thanks so far!

Ben

You won't be able to pick up the smaller moons. The brightest of the non-Galilean ones is Himalia and that's at mag 15, which you won't pick up on shortish exposures with a DSLR. All the other dots on your image are stars.

You've got me thinking, though. I might try for some of the other moons myself. You can get the ephemerides from here.

Archived