Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

digital compass android app?

Has anyone on here used a compass app on their android phone?

I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner...

I have downloaded an app with an astronomy friendly "Night" compass so it is black and red, and the compass itself seems pretty accurate.

My plan is to plonk this in the middle of my dob stand, it should help me out a little better than using a normal compass, esp as I don't have a setting circle

With the wixey as well, should save me some time as I am still learning to find things

TBH how does it work on a phone? I have wifi and gps off and it still works? It doesn't have an inbuilt magnetometer either

I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 and my compass is rubbish :icon_scratch:

Downloaded another from the android market and they both say different readings.. have tried the figure 8 method also..

Apparently its a known bug with S2's :)

I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 and my compass is rubbish :icon_scratch:

Downloaded another from the android market and they both say different readings.. have tried the figure 8 method also..

Apparently its a known bug with S2's :)

My HTC Desire works great with GPS Status, even got the aircraft speed and height & bearing right on a recent trip:D

I did a little test tonight on the accuracy of my phone. The altitude is accurate to 1 degree, but azimuth is shocking, maybe 5-12 degrees out each time.

In echo what I found on other forum searches.. Mobile phones as push to systems can be pretty awful, but its still useful to use to get coordinates for everything you need and a rough guide, though in all honesty it fiddly as well

Archived