Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First attempt at Collimation

I have only been able to use my Skywatcher 130P AZ GOTO a few times since I got it as a cloud has been living over my road for several months. With little else to do I decided to check the collimation using my home made collimation cap. The view I get seems to indicate a problem as the secondary mirror does not appear to be set straight as I can see 2 of the fixing screws (top and left in the attached picture) but not the other 2. :) Apart from this it seems fine with everything appearing to be 'centered'. Is this normal or, if not, what do I have to adjust?

post-25116-133877648395_thumb.jpg

does look like the secondary may have rotated a bit. how has it performed when in use? Or perhaps this has happened sometime after you last used it last. Id wait untill you next get chance to use it and see how it is. If it is giving poor results then go through the collimation process. Id go through the whole process as you may find when you have re-aligned your secondary the primary may be out

I see what you mean now. Sorry I was thinking you meant the primary clips. Ideally unless someone has come across this before you need to take some more pics. There is no doubt the secondary has rotated on it's axis. But why the screws are visible I don't know. Have you gone through AB's collimation guide? Astro Babys Guide to Collimation If you haven't do this first and see how you get on.

I have adjusted everything as per every collomation guide I could find but cannot find anything that moves the mirror mount. I have not been able to use the scope for a while because of the weather but last time I used it it seemed ok. As it does not appear to be a major issue I will just ignore it I think! Just thought someone may have seen it before and know a quick fix.

Archived