NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Jupiter with new scope

astroeddie

At long last, the clouds abated and I got my first views of the King of the planets earlier.

Wow, immense detail immediately noted even though the seeing and atmosphere where terrible.

Using my 17mm Hyperion, the two Equatorial belts where strewn with detail. I started just as Europa was being occultated, 0010bst, 17.08.11.

The views where awash with thermals and wind blowing the scope. Gave up after an hour.

I too managed my first view of Jupiter this morning, I had been at it since 11:45 hopeing for better "seeing" but it was no good. There was a slight improvement around 00:55 but I had had enough by then. Hopeing for a really clear cool night, then I will get back out there. Still quite chuffed I managed to spot 3 moons, Io, Ganymede and Callisto, not bad for my scope in these conditions with stock ep! and the moon was very bright.

Archived