alignment question

Hello:

If I get my scope properly polar aligned, when tracking/imaging Jupiter, could I reasonably expect the image to remain static on the computer screen...instead of slowly drifting across the screen?

Thank you all again!icon7.gif

If you polar align it as near as you can then tracking it will be mostly in one plane (RA only) with odd tweaks in Dec. Makes it much easier to follow. If you have an RA motor then it's even better cos you only need tweak the Dec every 5 or ten mins.

Even if you only get it pointing magnetic north and set the latitude to your position on Earth it will be good enough for observing. For astro imaging things need to be a lot more precise. I'm talking about an Equatorial mount of course :smiley:

(which scope/mount do you have? and is it motorised?)

Thank you. I have a 9.25SCT goto scope. I did a drift alignment but couldn't check it out because it clouded up as I was finishing.

If it was successful, would Jupiter stay put (more or less) on my laptop screen?

Thank you again

Yes it will be virtually stationary. Remember that people used to take single exposures lasting hours when film was the only way to go. The image would have to be stationary that whole time.

Even if your alignment isn't spot on, you can take shortish exposures and then align and stack them.

Thank you. I have a 9.25SCT goto scope. I did a drift alignment but couldn't check it out because it clouded up as I was finishing.

If it was successful, would Jupiter stay put (more or less) on my laptop screen?

Thank you again

what do you think of scope ?:smiley:

Thank you all for your helpful comments.

I do like the scope. As a newbie I do find that planetary imaging does have a number of challenges and learning curves. I think I have collimation and drift alignment covered. I use a dbk21 camera and a 2.5x Powermate. Need to experiment with filters and extension tube to try to get the image scale larger/clearer. Maybe I need another Barlow added? I also use a Celestron motor focusser.

The scope is great, but the operater seems to have senior moments at times!

Cheers!

Archived