Collimation!!!!

Since it's a Mak, it's unlikely to have gone out of alignment.

No need to fret over the more complex aspects of star testing - just point directly to a bright star in the middle of the view at high magnification and defocus into a round blur. The light blur should have a dark circle in the middle.

If that dark circle looks smack bang in the middle of the light one (as far as you can tell at least) then it's collimated i.e. if it doesn't look clearly off-centre, then there's really nothing to worry about.

I tried a star test tonight but it looks nothing like any of the images i.e. there are no rings, am I doing it wrong, r the star not bright enough?

If collimationis off, how badly does it affect viewing? I waqs able to look at jupiter and the moon tongiht, woul errors show up when looking at these?

Thanks

For the star test you need to use high powers. Make sure the star is centred. Don't de-focus too much. If you de-focus a lot, you will see a disk. That's WAY too much. Take a look at this example image:

http://rohr.aiax.de/@C11Jul07-09.jpg

Note the dark and bright rings. The more you de-focus the more of these rings you will see. You only want in the region of 8 to 10 bright/dark edges. See this page too: Collimation

There are simulations here showing the effect of miss-collimation: Thierry Legault - The collimation

Collimation is only scary when you don't have the information. When you accumulate the information (and this can happen more easily then you may think) then you'll find it's a logical and understandable process.

Archived