Guiding a scope.

Morning all.

I keep reading on here about guided scopes for photography.

Can some one please tell me what I require to set up a guided system on my scope.

I need to know what program to run it from ect.

I have a 200mm Helios and I would like to use the finder scope for guiding if possible.

The scope is pier mounted in my very nearly completed obsevatory.

The OTA sits on a Synscan goto EQ5 mount running off EQMOD and Stelliarium.

Many thanks in advanced for any help.

Graham

Hi Graham, I can only present my experience but I am in the process of learning how to use PHD by stark labs for auto-guiding. I now use an ST80 as a guidescope but used a finder with an adaptor from Bern @ Modern astronomy. I use a QHY5 guide cam now but an SPC900 is equally as capable. Incidentally I've found cartes du ciel has a bit more functionality over Stellarium for controlling the mount but I still fire up Stellarium as well because I prefer to look at it as a reference. Hope this helps a little.

I think you will need to mod your finder to use it for guiding. Others will help your more with that.

Most people tend to go for a short focal length refractor like the SkyWatcher Startravel 80 . Mine is mounted side by side with my imaging scope using a duel mounting bar .

There is a piece of free software from Stark Labs called PHD that you can use along with guiding camera and a laptop to guide the system.

Hope this helps.

Looks like I was beaten to it by Spikey.

Thank you folks.

That is exactly the information I am looking for.

I did try Cartes but I found it a problem trying to decypher where the stars were in relation to my observatory.

I have found that Stelliairium is also a closer match to the Synscan when I am setting up the inital 3 star allignment although I am haveing problems with syncing with EQMOD.

Thanks again

Graham

I don't know your mount, but does it have a guide port? If it doesn't I don't think you'll be able to autoguide.

If it does - great!

As stated above but in summary.

1. You'll need a guide scope (this could be an adapted finderscope), this has to be fixed to the mount and be capable of being adjusted in order to find a guide star (in case a suitable one is not in the field of view).

2. A Guide camera, any astro camera which can see stars and can attach to a laptop.

3. Guide cables, depending on what camera you are using. The retailer can advise.

4. Guiding software. PHD seems to be the easiest to use and it's free, but there are lots of others out there.

You can of course use and Off Axis Guider, or stand alone guiders.

Carole

Wow the information is begining to drown me.

I do have a port on the Synscan for a guider so I can plug the computer into there.

I also have an astro cam that I used to use before upgrading to the spc900.

As for the off axis guider I am afraid that went straight over my head.

It looks like I am going to have to do some serious reading if I ever get time.

thanks

Graham

I don't know anything about pulse guiding using EQMod, so others will have to pitch in about this, but for straight forward guiding, you seem to have the basics, a guide port and a camera.

So the cables you need will depend on what cables/ports the camera has.

I have had experience of two types.

My modified webcam had a USB cable which plugged into the laptop, then I had a 2nd cable called a GPUSB cable which also plugged into the laptop with an ST4 cable attached to the GPUSB cable one end and into the guide port at the other end.

My newer QHY5 has two cables, one plugs into the laptop and the other plugs directly into the guide port via the ST4 cable.

Hope this helps.

Carole

I do not use the handset on my setup as drive the mount using EQMOD.

As far as I have read pulse guiding is done via ascom and EQMOD to drive the mounts motors. This does away with the need of a third party software (of which the name escapes me) to convert the signals to drive the motors in the mount.

It also removes the need for yet another set of leads from the computer to the mount's ST4 port as mentioned by Spikey.

There will be a lot of better informed people on here who could explain it better.

thanks

Graham

Hi Carole

Thanks for the infomation.

I had a look at the Off Axis Guiders and nearly passed out at the price.

I must admit it does seem to be the ideal option as you only use the main scope but the cost is very prohibative.

Maybe I will go down that route a little later on but for now I will try to use the finder scope and my astro webcam to see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

Graham

I agree with everyone else's comments.

Graham - You are correct you don't need the handset. You also don't immediately need an OAG (if at all). Use the finderscope as your guidescope for now.

Get an adaptor from modern astronomy for £30 which allows a webcam to be attached to your finderscope.

As for guiding software, yes you can use EQMOD or as a lot of folks do, use PHD. It's also free.

Why not try them both, horses for courses and all that.

Hi Spikey.

Thanks for all the info.

I thought you had to use PHD to drive the EQMOD via ascom.

PHD will be the first thing I down load when I get home from work tonight.

I have been to thier site and have been reading up on it. I must say it sounds very impressive.

I can make the adapter in my workshop so that will save me a few pounds.

thanks again.

Graham

You are welcome, happy if I can help in some small way.

Ascom is the underlying platform that controls the mount, EQMOD is an interface if you like, that calls the features of Ascom.

PHD also utilises Ascom for the purposes of guiding the mount. All of them are very impressive pieces of software considering they are done by enthusiasts for free.

Archived