Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Thinking of getting a EQ3-2 mount and need advice

acharris77

Hi all I need some advice. I am thinking of getting a EQ3-2 mount so that I can I polar align and hopefully it will track longer than my Syncscan Alt/Az as I would like to attach my Canon 1000D to my SW 130p scope.

Also my plan is to upgrade to something a bit bigger by buying just the OTA than my 130p down the line and just use my 130p with the goto as my grab and go scope as I can't bare to part with it for now being my first "real" scope and as some of you know I got some history and some good views and images with it. My questions below are:

1) do I need to upgrade the EQ3-2 with the single axis motor or is it better to have the dual axis motors on it?

2) I know I would need to change my dovetail on the 130p as it is designed for the syncscan, but how would I go about changing the dovetail as the bolts are in deep the scope and I got nothing to reach that far?

Thanks again for any advice.

hello anthony! im not far from you

iv the the 3-2 its recamended max weight limit is the 150p (with out camera) iv used mine mainly on just attaching the camera directly to the mount and used camera len's instead for more widefield views (prob 200mm - 300 is about max) the EQ5 is better as a basic -camera on telescope- astrophotography

the 3-2 does come with a option to upgrade it to the synscan (as iv got that upgrade model) FLO sell it it is about £290 extra to the mount though for photography or even tracking single motors should be ok (as the skys only move in one axis really for tracking) i only had 1 motor on my EQ2 and it was fine

im not sure about the screws section u can get long nosed drivers that can do it but perhaps some one better can help (who has that perticular scope)

gaz

If you are thinking of upgrading your OTA at some point then you need to upgrade the mount to one that will be able to handle whatever OTA you are hoping to get. Depending on what you hop to get then minimum I would suggest is an EQ5 or better still the HEQ5 syntrek mount, especially if you are looking at getting into astro-photography of DSO's etc.

Sorry can't offer any advice on the dovetail...

Thanks for the advice, just looking at the FLO website now and for the extra maybe the EQ5 would be the better one to go for as it seems more upgradable.

@gaz I see you live in oakdale, I am over Bargoed way which is really not far from where you are.

the eq3 though is a really good mount. it would do your 130p and up to a 150p fine but anything bigger is the max limit. iv actually put the 8" orion onto mine (in the house) it seemed ok but the counterweights wernt big enough so i wouldnt trust it) the EQ5 is a better mount but the heq5 mentiond (i would get the syntex if u do go for it) as its point and press (tracks perfectly) u can upgrade it with a synscan controller (nothin else) or even use EQMOD on it for control form a laptop. would you get the mount on its own or with the motors as in the long run it may be better to save up more. a 8" frac is the max for a eq5 roughly, for the astrophotography the EQ5 is usally the basic mount (ur 130p and camera should be ok but nothing else really

one of our members got a fantastic book on astrophotography steppenwolf every photon counts

yeee im from oakdale (currently exiled in croespenmaen tho ;) ) im in bargoed all the time for my job and sometimes help my mate with discos in the rugby club

The EQ3-2 is a great entry level mount and yes you can use them for imaging ( I did in the early gays) but they take alot of work to get a good image out of. Also as has been said if your thinking of a mount that will take a 130P then the EQ5 will be more than enough,

The EQ3 will take it but itll be near the top end of the mount capacity, better to go for something a bit bigger.

The single axis drive is OK and really thats all you need but its nice to have a drive on the dec axis as well.

Dovetails, it depends on which EQ3 mount you go for, if its an older one then these dont have dovetails just 2 6mm holes on the dec axis plate which you bolt your tube rings to instead of a dovetail bar. However the newer white eq3s have the dovetail clamp.

Eq5s have dovetail clamps so no probs there.

Cheers

Philj

Archived