NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I need professional help

I have bit of an update. I managed to contact Barry Watts (Beaconhill) and I took my scope to him. I found out that he only lives 30 mins from me :D

He well and truely sorted my scope out. I tested it on saturn last night and I could easily see three bands on it surface. it was the best image I have ever seen, it was tack sharp. he did this by eye only, no cheshires and no lasers were used.

After he had done this he suggested that I star test it to refine the collimation, I had no need as when I pointed at a star I got the classic star rings.

After this I stuck my laser collimater down the tube, this showed that my mirrors were again way off. The laser has been recycled into a cat scarer tool.

Once again I am a happy man :sunny:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, it seems that the main issue was that my secondary was set way too far down the scope.

Barry moved it about one inch in the other direction. I will never touch that secondary again. :nono:

Thanks, it seems that the main issue was that my secondary was set way too far down the scope.

Barry moved it about one inch in the other direction. I will never touch that secondary again. :nono:

You will be. It's unevitable...OTOH if the 14 incher hold the collimtion as good as my 8 incher OO i will take some time though. Much to my surprise my collimation does not change even after multiple 20 miles drives. Extraordinary....my skywatcher is much more sensible...

Archived