NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Testing the QHY8

George

Spent the last night fiddling with the QHY8 for the first time, eventually got focus (33mm further back than the 1000D) and started seeing stars :hello2:

I used Nebulosity for the first time so Im on a steep learning curve, eventually settled on a Gain of 20 and offset 125 whatever that means :rolleyes:

Think I'm going to have to read the Nebulosity manual.

Anyway I pointed in the general direction of the North American nebula to see what HA it could pull in and took a 5 minute sub which I've posted below. Im very impressed considering it was misty and murkey thus LP was quite bad.

CLS filter used

No BIAS

No darks

No flats

A simple stretch and curves, and a quick fiddle with NEAT image for smoothing.

post-13224-133877642065_thumb.jpg

I've got a lot to learn in the coming months ;)

That's a great first attempt! I too recently had my first session with the QHY8 and took some shots of M57. I also have a lot to learn as I couldn't seem to pull any colour out of the image but I think this may be down to processing errors on my part (debayer etc?). I had gain set to almost 0 and closed my eyes to adjust the offset har har!

Anyway - great work - I might have to try the NA Nebula as well - looks interesting.

David

Here is a link to setting gain and offset - can be done indoors on a rainy day ! :)

gain and offset.pdf

That is a good article on gain/offset - thanks. I may try the process but I've read quite a few times today that it's not necessary to set the gain above 0 on the QHY8 - for various reasons that were to detailed for me to grasp :D Seemed like a rash generalisation but it popped up quite a few times in my searches?

David

Archived