Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Roadside Jupiter

PNB

Just got in from my local astro society meet up this evening. I took my 9 year old son with me for the first time. We had a great night looking at messier objects, satellites, shooting stars etc but went home gutted that Jupiter wasn't up far enough to see yet.

Anyway on the ten minute drive home I spotted Jupiter low in the sky. I set up my scope at the side of the road, with quite bad light pollution from the streetlights and honed in on Jupiter. It's the first time I've ever seen it but wow. I could make out some colour bands and 4 or 5 moons through a 25mm eyepiece. My son was made up too.

Well worth a roadside stop at 12.30am.

We got to see it tonight and I am made up. Yay

Have a nice night folks.

:-)

Great stuff PNB , i too saw Jupiter for the first time last night ;) Was 1 am when i noticed it , and after a quick check with stellarium to confirm it, i set my dob on it for 3 hours . Its awesome seeing it and some of its moons for the first time as i am sure it is how ever many times you see it.

Its awesome seeing it and some of its moons for the first time as i am sure it is how ever many times you see it.

You'll remember that first view for a very long time, I first saw Jupiter at the beginning of the year and was hooked from the very first view. Am waiting for it to be viewable at a sensible time this time around.

You're both right. Was made up with it. The moons made it look amazing. Even if it was a little odd to be observing on the fly at the roadside, it was great.

I was hoping To have a look last night from my garden but the clouds rolled in at one hell of a pace.

Archived