NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with electrics - volts and amps!

An electrical luddite needing some help here if possible please!

I have a tracking motor to run my EQ4 mount with. Previously, it ran from 8x 1.5v C size batteries. One set of these lasted me approx a year, on and off.

I have now invested in a 17ah 'Jump Starter'/power pack (thanks Mike).

I reliase that is 1 amp is drawn from the pack, it should last me 17 hours before it is flat (not that I'd run it flat!), but is there any way of working out how many amps the motor draws and thus how long the power pack *would* last me?

Nothing on the motor itself. All the details I can give you are as above!

Thanks in advance.

The EQ4 and 5 draw about an amp when tracking and around 2A on fast slew.

I think those figures are for the Synscan equipped models. :)

The standard single axis and dual axis 8x slew drives use a lot less if i remember rightly. Something like 0.4-0.5Ah. Hence why 8 D Cells last so long. I'll see if i can find a the figure.

Thanks gents - no to running down too far and don't rely on 17ah.

Just FYI, it's not a Skyscan etc. It's just a motor. Be interested to see what sort of figures you come up with Russ.

TheThing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Hugh,

I did find another SGL thread discussing the same thing. There was no set in stone figures for the standard drives but a figure of 0.4Ah was mentioned. Which would seem right for their lowly power requirements.

How about looking at this from a different direction?

The motor consumption will vary depending on the load (balance).

A good set of "C" alkaline batteries are roughly 6Ah capacity.

So, the 17Ah tank will give you about three times the life. (Or twice, so you don't run it flat)

Loads of caveats, the alkaline capacity drops off with high current drain and they all lose capacity when cold.

Hope this helps.

Gordon.

Archived