SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Canon EOS 7D

MickyWay

I recently bought a Canon EOS 7D and was faced with the problem that none of my timers, remote shutter release or control cables would fit the N3 input socket ( I have a 1000D with 2.5mm socket).:)

Faced with the prospect of spending even more on accessories, I found that Canon did an adapter cable. But at around £40 I thought that was another Canon rip-off, and they weren't getting any more of my money.

The answer was found here:eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

At £5.35. inc postage, it was worth a punt. It arrived in just over a week. It's nicely made, but more importantly, it works.

If you don't like the idea of buying stuff from China or Hong Kong, then I recommend Andy Ellis at Astromomiser:Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions

post-16403-133877641086_thumb.jpg

Ebay is a good place for this type of release but they tend to use just a push in N3 connector rather than the lockable plug and they can, and often do, work loose. I bought a handful of these leads from ebay with the correct lockable plug on them, they can be wired into any release system

Stellardesign 1m Canon Lock Type N3 Plug + Cord RS-80N3 | eBay

Hi Kev, I must admit I was a bit worried about the plug quality, and although it's not the lockable type, the fit is very good, and sometimes it's better if a plug used in astro situations can pull out if a cable is snagged or you trip over it in the dark ;), rather than damage the socket.

Archived