Best replacement tri-pod?

I got all my gear out of storage last night in the hope that the skies would be clear for a viewing session!

Sadly the skies were cloudy :) - The worst news though is that my aluminium tripod has broken!

I am gutted because I used this tripod on and off for almost 3 years before putting it into storage (Not been used for maybe 3 years). Looks like the plastic bits at the bottom used to secure the legs has split. This is my own fault for not removing the balance weights from the mount. Lesson learned now!

Have managed to salvage it with super glue and tape, but I need advice now on a replacement as I am not convinced my repairs will be good enough.

I have an EQ-5 mount and dont want to upgrade the whole lot, just the tri-pod.

What is the best tripod to buy (Cheap as possible) to replace this with? Or can I get proper replacement parts for it?

It came with the scope and mount from Orion Optics.

Thanks in advanse for any help given. - Don't want to throw my money away on rubbish (Not in the current climate!)

If keeping cost down is critical, this website has some tripod legs that I think would fit (better phone the company 1st to check though). They also have a whole EQ5 aluminum tripod for £20 plus postage:

AstroBoot

These are not as good as the 1.75" steel tube ones of course but OK for lighter scopes.

If keeping cost down is critical, this website has some tripod legs that I think would fit (better phone the company 1st to check though). They also have a whole EQ5 aluminum tripod for £20 plus postage:

AstroBoot

These are not as good as the 1.75" steel tube ones of course but OK for lighter scopes.

Thanks, but I have a 250mm OTA that is really heavy. Not sure the ALUs here are strong enough. Even the EQ5 alu mount does not look like the one I have.

Will have to keep looking a recon.

(The web site is really good with some cheap items that I may dabble with anyway!)

Cheers

M.

you can get just the tripod part for £100 from FLO i rang them and then made the payment abra cadabra here the next day

I've had a quick look, but can't see any tri-pod only offerings. Possibly looking in the wrong place. Even searched the site but nothing.

Do you have a link?

Ta.

M.

Thanks, but I have a 250mm OTA that is really heavy. Not sure the ALUs here are strong enough. Even the EQ5 alu mount does not look like the one I have....

No problem :)

I agree 100% that the alu tripods are not enough for a 10" !. I'd be looking for a 2" steel tubed tripod at least - even then the EQ5 might be struggling a bit :)

S'n'S Astroboot supplied me with three legs and the top of an EQ5 in Orion colours and all I need is metal straps to replace the eyepiece tray/ leg brace.

Otherwise Skies the Limit have tripod legs at three pound a throw.

S'n'S Astroboot supplied me with three legs and the top of an EQ5 in Orion colours and all I need is metal straps to replace the eyepiece tray/ leg brace.

Otherwise Skies the Limit have tripod legs at three pound a throw.

Thanks for all the replies. I am relieved to find that for the moment my McGuyver tape and glue repair seems to be holding. It looks very stong, but the proof will be when I finally get some scope time.

Ta.

Mike.

Archived