NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ED80 on NEQ6 or ED120 on HEQ6?

Hi everyone,

New to SGL so please be gentle!:)

I currently have a sw 300p tracking truss dob that i use for observing which is great and I intend to keep.

I'm now looking to get a second scope to compliment this and would love some advice/thoughts.

I would like something that is quicker to set up than the dob for observing on those patchy cloud nights but mainly I would like to get more into imaging with a dslr.

After much reading on here & making every photon count (great book) I have decided on a sky watcher reflector but my budget will only allow either a ED80 on NEQ6 or ED120 on HEQ6. I know everyone says the mount is the main consideration but if i go with the ed80 will i be disapointed observing through this and is the heq5 really that much different when just starting to image? Obviously i can upgrade either way i go at a later date but what would people start with? I'd love to hear from people who have used these. Thanks in anticpation.

Personally I would go with the beefier mount the NEQ6 and the ED80 you can add another scope at a later date but the ED80 will always be useful as a widefield imaging scope or even double as a guide scope.....ok won't be as good for visual compared to the 120ED but you have a great visual scope in the Dob which neither of the refractors can touch for light gathering.

The heavier mount would be future proof.

You will need a flattener with the refractor to go with a DSLR so factor that cost in.

I would go for a Ikharos 102 on a NEQ6.

The ikharos at the moment comes with a free flattener/reducer.

The Ikharos is a good half way house between the ED 80 and ED 120.

I have just bought this scope and am mightily impressed.

I use a 120ED on an HEQ5 and use it for DSLR imaging. So far I am happy with this combo and certainly don't feel restricted by the mount.

Thanks Sara, thats good to hear about the heq5 and 120. Looking at ur pics id be chuffed to produce anything near! Si.

I would go for a Ikharos 102 on a NEQ6.

The ikharos at the moment comes with a free flattener/reducer.

The Ikharos is a good half way house between the ED 80 and ED 120.

I have just bought this scope and am mightily impressed.

Many thanks for the advice, how fast is the Ikharos and can i get one in the uk?

Personally I would go with the beefier mount the NEQ6 and the ED80 you can add another scope at a later date but the ED80 will always be useful as a widefield imaging scope or even double as a guide scope.....ok won't be as good for visual compared to the 120ED but you have a great visual scope in the Dob which neither of the refractors can touch for light gathering.

The heavier mount would be future proof.

You will need a flattener with the refractor to go with a DSLR so factor that cost in.

Thanks for that Pete. Sorry to ask a silly question but what does the flattener do?

Many thanks for the advice, how fast is the Ikharos and can i get one in the uk?

Hi - it's F7 without the flattener/reducer and with I think it drops it down to F5.6.

If you on the equipment reviews section on this site you with see an active thread.

The scope is sold by Ian King imaging - who has a reputation for only selling quality stuff.

See link below;

IKHARUS Telescope and Accessories from Ian King Imaging

Just in principle, bigger scope on smaller mount is not the right way to go. Smaller scope on bigger mount certainly IS the right way to go!

There is no virtue in imaging to be had from bigger scopes. They are not better, they are different, the key thing being focal length. This determines how much sky fits on your chip. What do you want to image? A large or a small object? You pick the focal length you need which is why so many of us have several scopes. You can model different focal lengths/chip sizes with CCD calculator. http://www.newastro.com/book_new/camera_app.php

Longer focal lengths need more accurate guiding.

Faster F ratio is a virtue too, of course.

Olly

Archived