NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

eyepiece

hi im new to this site

i need a bit of help finding a new eyepiece , i have a skywatcher evostar 102 (eq3-2) with the standard super 25 wide angle long eye relief and the super 10mm eyepieces to fit 1.25,was thinking about getting the nirvana uwa 82 but i want to no is how will this be different to the ones i already have ive been wanting to see deep sky objects like gaxaxys and planets etc better but dont no what to buy could n e body help

Hi,

Welcome to the forum !.

The Nirvana's are very nice wide field eyepieces and a big improvement over the standard ones supplied with the scope but won't actually show you any new objects of course - you just get a wider angle view.

Another option would be to add a 32mm 1.25" plossl eyepiece to your existing ones for low power views plus something like a 7mm or 6mm plossl for higher power views of the planets and the moon.

Buying eyepieces is more complex than buying scopes in many ways and can be just as expensive so keep asking questions so that you can find out what all the options are.

You can also move to 2" fitting eyepieces for a wider field of view but you will need a 2" diagonal as well so more £'s.

tom, try to get a all in one eyepiece ! an EP that give you 3-4 choices. the price will be less than buying 4 different EP...give it a thought

I guess you mean a zoom. The Hyperion 8mm - 24mm zoom is pretty good but at a price - around £170.00

Personally I prefer fixed focal length eyepieces but a good zoom is an option. They don't offer a wide angle of view though (apart from the Speers-Waler zoom).

So much choice in eyepieces ..... :)

what would a hyperflex -8e eyepiece do wat my stanard ones eyepieces wont

It will provide the zoom facility plus better optical quality. The field of view is slightly narrower than normal eyepieces at the 22.5mm focal length (lower power) and a bit wider than normal at the 7.5mm focal length (higher power).

I've not used a Hyperflex but I have owned the Hyperion zoom (less expensive) which does work really well. The best of all the mid-range zooms is reputed to be the Pentax 8-24:

First Light Optics - Pentax XL 8-24mm Zoom

Not a low cost option though :)

As you don't explicitly state a budget it is a bit of guess work. WO make a set of 3 SWANS, something like 9mm, 15mm and 20mm. These are about £60 each.

However there are a number of copies/clones around that are less expensive.

If you look at SWAN eyepieces on various sites they will be fairly apparent since they are always in a set of 3 and the focal lengths are within a mm the values above.

Assuming that something like £140 is OK how about getting a set of 3?

For DSO's you really need something of long focal length to give you a wide view, the images are small but therefore a bit more intense and once you find and center the object you need an eyepiece giving more magnification.

The values above would give 111x, 67x and 50x, all are wide angles so locating things should be easier.

Will ask exactly what is it you are expecting to see. Except for very few they are all small, as in very small and very faint.

Archived