NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Comet Gerradd

mdstuart

Good night last night lovely and clear.

Tried this comet which is amazing.

Picked it up in my 80mm bins, lovely bright core and halo in the 10 inch dob. Mag 8 is my estimate. Just visible with averted vision in 50mm finder..

Moved against the stars noticably in 2hrs.

Really good..If you have a scope do not miss it.

Chart from skyhound Comet Chasing

Just up and left of Enif in Pegasus which is accessable in the NE soon after dark...better after midnight..

Enjoy!

Mark

I just added it on stellarium before I saw this thread, not entirely sure how accurate it is but it's lobbed me in the area just left of Enif so it can't be far off.

Would love to see this, just hope the skies clear up eventually.

Going to have a go at finding comet Gerradd tonight weather permitting. What will I be looking for visually? Does it look like a blurry star? I have never found a comet before and I will be using Skymaster 15x70, same as nitram100.

Looks like a very faint blurry patch in the binoculars. It is unlike the stars and hence it is obvious once you have identified it...

It is very faint so scan around looking for what looks like a grey fuzzy small ball...

Good luck..If you cannot see it wait a few weeks..it is getting brighter all the time.

2.5 au from the sun and closing!

Mark

Thanks for the advice Mark. The weather in Salisbury should hopefully be clear tonight, will have a go at finding it but through my scope as my focuser has been repaired and returned to me from FLO. I have only used my scope twice so extremely excited, if I find my first comet (Garradd) I will be ecstatic! Thanks again.

Archived