Which camera to get?

Webcam for planets and moon - The SPC880 is a favoured choice and very good value for money right now.

For dso's you can make a good start with a DSLR - possibly s/h for good price.s I use the 350D and 1000D but there are others.

HTH :)

Hi Manock101.

I have only been imaging for a short time but Having read some of the posts on SGL, for DSO's you need a camera that will take long exposures and a good solid motorized mount the camera of choice seems to be the Cannon 1000d DSLR, for the Planets and the Moon a modified webcam will suffice such as the Philips 880 flashed to a 900.

May I suggest go to the imaging page or the equipment help page for more in depth explanations.

hope this helps.

You can't do deep sky with short exposures. This means that the key bit of the setup is the mount.

On the other hand, fast frame cameras (webcams and super-webcams) don't need high precison tracking for the solar system objects.

Olly

Archived