hi there :)

Welcome to SGL

Not as good as the 130/650 Explorer. The 114/1000 short tube reflector has a bullt in barlow type lens to compensate for the short tube. The focal length of the telescope is 1000mm but uses a lens in the focuser to compress the light path. The primary mirror is spherical (not as good as a parabolic miiror) and the lens corrects for spherical abberations also. As with all catadioptric (compound) telescopes they are difficult to collimate with a laser.

Peter

I agree. wont be as good as the Skywatcher. And ebay can be risky but for £40 it might be worth a punt if that's all you want to spend. Then if you get more into the hobby you can upgrade at a later date.

Hi, rikgrimsby, I recently bought a Skymax and while the OTA itself is fine the mount gave me problems. Ok in the end it seems the mount was not entirely at fault but the instruction manual is a little bit vague. It states that you should use a power supply of 1 amp or more, that's 1000ma. lets just say that 1 amp will not do the job you need more than this for the mount to function correctly. It will not give you an error message and the handset will not flicker or any of the usual low power indications, the mount will just do strange things when you try and align it. So be warned use a fresh set of batteries a power tank or a power supply of at least 1500ma or 1.5 amps. good luck.

Gord.

Archived