Binoflex

They look a bit difficult to get the target in the FOV and I think it would be really difficult to get a good idea of where you are actually pointing it and the orientation of the target.

But, they do provide a rock solid view in a comfortable viewing position.

I suspected the finding your way around issue would arise.

Roger, your sig says you use 8x40 binos, I would be using 20x80s, do you think they would physically fit in the binoflex?

They do look a really comfortable way of viewing though.....

I suspected the finding your way around issue would arise.

Roger, your sig says you use 8x40 binos, I would be using 20x80s, do you think they would physically fit in the binoflex?

They do look a really comfortable way of viewing though.....

I'm away from home for the next couple of weeks, so can't check it out, but I think it would take larger binos.

• 1 month later...
I would be using 20x80s, do you think they would physically fit in the binoflex?

It depends on the distance between your eyes.

Scopes 'n' Skies try to make out that the Binoflex is good for even the large binoculars, but I have to disagree because my 12x50s are (lucky for me) just at the limit of what the Binoflex can take when the binoculars are unfolded to maximum width.

If I had bigger binoculars, I believe that when unfolded to maximum, the width of such binoculars would exceed to mirror size of the Binoflex.

But notwithstanding the above, I would say this:

I absolutely love the Binoflex and consider it to be one of the best astronomical purchases that I have made :glasses2:

It presents such a relaxed view of the stars that the thought of using binoculars on a tripod in the regular way just makes me shudder. On a good night, with a flask of coffee, I'd be happy to spend an entire night without a telescope and using only the Binoflex and never get bored. Yes, the mirror view is flipped - but the mirror diagonal on a telescope flips the sky view as well, so this shouldn't even be a consideration - working with flipped views is something anyone with more than one type of telescope should be comfortable with.

Using the Binoflex is - for me - a wonderful, wonderful experience, and my wife feels the same. You can use pretty much any old tripod - even a poor quality one - stick it in front of your camping chair and get a superb, thrilling star-viewing experience. Navigating to your target with star-hopping is no more difficult that with a regular telescope.

My only criticism of the Binoflex is that the mirror is uncoated, so you need to make sure friends and family don't get their sticky fingers all over it, since you'll want to avoid cleaning as much as possible. One day, when the condition of my Binoflex mirror becomes poor, I'll get someone like Orion Optics to recoat it and apply a HiLux overcoat or similar protective layer; that's my only criticism.

The only modification I made was to lubricate the pivot and to remove the right-hand pivot screw. It is unnecessary and can make the mechanism go stiff.

The Binoflex is coming with me to the Salisbury Star Party and anyone interested can have a go then :rolleyes:

Rgds,

J.

Hmm -- I made one of these about 20 years ago. I loathed it. I couldn't get the hang of finding things, being unable to actually point the binocular at it, it was dew-prone (but not as bad as I had feared), and the mirror seemed to accumulate and hoard all manner of debris. I gave it away.

But lots of people swear by (not at!) them, so they must have something going for them.

My Binoflex ST50 has arrived. My 10x50 Bresser (Lidl specials) could go on without problem. My 15x70 Revelation were a bit too long so I had to improvise an aluminium extension bar to position the binos far enough away from the front surface mirror. First impressions are very favourable but I'll wait to see what the view with the 15x70 is like as the mount should really transform the experience of using the larger binos that are too tricky to hold stable otherwise.

Thanks guys. It would appear that the size of the binocs would be a problem, however........ I have found a source of first surface mirrors that are larger than the binoflex one, at 'reasonable' prices, so I can feel a project comong on! :p

Let us know when you get something going, Thomas!

Meanwhile, I tried my 15x70 on the Binoflex. Given my astigmatism I thought I got a pretty good viewing session. These are "budget" binos, bought for £50 new. I observed M27 (Dumbbell) and M15 (globular cluster), star hopping with the help of an iPod Touch app (Distant Suns). Very comfortable position, completely transforms the binocular experience, even if I lose a bit of light from mirror not being quite large enough. I will need to rig some heater to go under the mirror as dew can become a problem.

Archived