Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SCAG Obs night 30th July 2011 - New Forest

russ

Our next obs night is [hopefully] approaching. We have two nights planned:

30th July 2011 - deepsky night making the best of New Moon on that night. And also some summer skies that now get properly dark. If clear it should be spectacular.

6th August 2011 - Lunar, Jupiter and Meteor night. The Moon is full on the night of the Perseid maximum and the Moon does not set all night, making it pointless doing a meteor watch that night. So we are hoping we may see a few meteors a week before the maximum. Plus have a beautiful first quarter moon to observe and later on, Jupiter. Plus some dark skies once the Moon sets. Could be a cracking night.

Off course all this hinges on the absolutely dire summer weather giving us a break......hopefully we'll strike it lucky with a two day sunny break that seems to be the norm.

All welcome, you don't have to be a member of the South Coast social group. Just PM me or Shaunster for details.

We also have C/2009 P1 Comet Garradd to view, our dark sky site should give us the best possible chance to see it well. A number of reports on CN say two tails are visible visually with a good aperture scope. We'll give it go! :BangHead:

Morning Russ, even i should be able to see it then :BangHead:.

stuart

We'll be relying on you Stu. ;) The guy on CN was using a 12" dob at 100x to view the comet and see two tails.

I didn't have a shroud for a month....just risked it without. Was biting my nails a bit at Turf Hill......."please don't drop that eyepiece!"

Watch the skies tonight and Sunday. Clear tonight apparently from 10pm to 2am. And then clear all night Sunday. I was out this morning checking out Jupiter and the Moon.......awesome! :BangHead:

Archived