Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mosaic critique

So Ive attempted my first mosaic if you can call it that its only 2 panels and I tried to do it in the simplest way possible - photoshop photomerge.

Any hints or tips please? I think it looks OK but there seems to be subtle differences in the two panes

I did also try pixinsights function for this but photoshop did a better job and places the two images on layers so you can adjust each one seperatly to reduce the joins in the images, can you detect them? :BangHead:

Posting in this section of the forum as it was commented on another thread it was underused!

NGC7000-mosaic-Ha-jpeg-X3.jpg

Well, it looks pretty good to me Shaunster. I can't see any differences between the frames or find the join.

I'm no astro photographer, but for my panos, Photomerge usually does a very good job.

Flippin heck :(:(:BangHead::)

I don't know allot about AP but that is truly stunning mate.

I think you right, this needs posting so more can view ;)

Any hints or tips..? yeah ..how to put eyeballs back in..;)

I always use photomerge for my astro panos.

I try to get the same amount of subs for each image, DBE in Pixensight then 2 or 3 levels stretches in PS (untill I can see the neb) then merge then curves, flatten then more curves....etc

Thanks, I cant see the joins myself just wondered what it was like on other peoples screens etc

I did try the pixinsight mosaic function first and that always showed some join but photomerge is just great and it allows you to work in layers after stiching which has made it so much easier for a first timer to get to grips with mosaic building

Its been all cloud now for what seems like ages (7 days!) hopefully I can get some more O3 soon for colour on the second pane, only need 4 more subs :BangHead:

I had a really close look and couldn't see any joints. Maybe there is slightly less signal on the Pelican side? But seamless. Nicely done.

It does get harder with RGB!

An easy way to search for seams is just to do a crazy stretch or, if you have them, run two or three iterations of Noel's Enhance Local Contrast. You are not aiming to keep any of these, you are just looking to see if they throw up any artefacts. If you don't see any you can have total confidence in the image.

Olly

Maybe something like this yes, the pelican side was taken under a full moon, the NAN side was not if that could be it?

Sure to be.

Maybe it is more a loss of contrast than a lack of signal, in which case you could try a slightly more contrasty version of the Pelican side feathered softly on top of what you have? But it really looks good as it is, to me.

Olly

That is a really good mosaic, I never knew PS photomerge would be ok for Astro work.

I have used it for general photogrpahy but would never have thought that it was upto the job for this kind of image. :BangHead:

Archived