Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dust or Central Obs

Hi guys,

Something that has been bugging my imaging for a while is 'a round artifact', I usually try and align the imaging object away from it and it gets processed out just rather not have it in the first place.

post-24560-133877636515_thumb.jpg

Left of centre and down.

I have managed to discount a few things.

It's not

1. the camera (at not unless both SPC's have the same 'dust')

2. The barlow (I have cleaned and used 3 different one)

3. The Star Diag (I removed this and put the SPC straight into VB)

So the only two things I can think it can be is

A. Dust/Dirt on OTA lense

B. An artefact created by the Central Obstruction

I have my suspicion that it could be A. as the lense is a bit dirty but having read alot about 'Don't clean unless you have too' I want to be sure first. I have my doubts about B as the 'artefact' doesn't seem to be slap bang in the middle of the image.

All thoughts and comments most welcome.

Thanks,

Justin

Well - it could be atmosphere magnified - but it's only a guess. The focal length is over 2300mm so your pushing it close to 400x magnification - 200x to 250x ought to be more than enough for tight and crisp images. Much over that is when the image starts to go fainter and grainier :BangHead:

Well - it could be atmosphere magnified - but it's only a guess. The focal length is over 2300mm so your pushing it close to 400x magnification - 200x to 250x ought to be more than enough for tight and crisp images. Much over that is when the image starts to go fainter and grainier :(

Thank you. The unprocessed frame was taken last night with a 2.5 and tube extension so probably close to x4 :BangHead: which judging by your comments is way over the top ;)

Next chance I get I'll bring it down a bit well ok a lot :(

Thank you both for your assistance. Should take delivery of Len brush any day so can look at tackling that.

Archived