Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I have found that for a stable(ish) ambient the sensor temp will stabilise after a number of frames especially if you do a bit of testing as to how long to leave between each "sub"...

Whenever I get a new cam I spend a couple of dreary nights trying to establish it's performance... I have a set sequence of tests that I go through...

Dennis... I don't unfortunately do things "mathematically".. probably due to having had to endure maths as part of my engineering education many moons ago.. and vowing once I passed the last maths exam I had to sit.. then that would be if at all possible the end of it... I have hardle ever had to use anything I was taught... and those bits that I do I let Excel take care of...

During the first few frames the temperature can be changing radically and for older cams that suffer from ampglow this changes dramatically as well so the you could either leave the ICNR on and get some potentailly useful signal .. or do what I did in the end start the run early to let the camera settle down and throw it away...

I just do what works for me ... and prodcues results that I am happy with... I dont really care about what anyone else thinks of them .. its not a competitive "sport" for me...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As promised, here are a couple of videos on photoshop basics and how to get started in PS with astrophotos. A third on blending modes (& layers) is being uploaded as well. . .

Hope they help - if you want me to go slower or explain more I can redo them. I think I need to redo the 1st anyways as Camtasia didn't always keep up when I did the screen zoom.

Enterprise Astrophotography: Shooting the stars | Beginning with Photoshop

Anna, on behalf of the many astro-processing beginners on SGL - many thanks indeed for putting together these two new introductory Photoshop videos. There's really nice examples in there for many of the key essential processing steps - I especially got a great deal out of the layers, masks and colour blending examples.

As promised, here are a couple of videos on photoshop basics and how to get started in PS with astrophotos. A third on blending modes (& layers) is being uploaded as well. . .

Hope they help - if you want me to go slower or explain more I can redo them. I think I need to redo the 1st anyways as Camtasia didn't always keep up when I did the screen zoom.

The video does not play for me in Firefox. Works okay in IE though.

Cheers,

Chris

Well done Anna.

I am sure a lot of people will get a lot out of these videos,myself included.

Very quick to respond to this need.I am sure there will be a lot of smiling beginners out there.

Thanks.

mick.

Excellent work and your voice sounds nice too, certainly a lot better than mine. :BangHead: One very minor point, perhaps you should look up the keyboard shortcut for the windows people?

But the MAC looks great as usual... iMAC me thinks?

A small note of caution to PC users, usually the screens in the standard PC's are rubbish quality, at least that is certainly the case for my company DELL laptop; there are calibration tool "Colorvision Spyder" to check them.

Colorvision Spyder

Given the fact your average PC costs about £3-400 and your average mac costs over £1k its hardly suprising they have some better quality parts is it?

Sorry I didnt want to comment on this but it had to be said.

Neil -

Well, I suppose I could, but seeing as I never use Windows and I at least tell the Mac shortcut when I am using it I figured people could do their own google search for whichever keyboard shortcut they want as they are readily available via searches.

Although the main difference is this:

MAC – OPTION/ALT = PC – ALT

MAC – COMMAND/APPLE = PC – CTRL/CONTROL

That should take care of most of the ones mentioned in my videos.

I do have an older iMac, though these were done on my MacBook Pro laptop :BangHead:

Is there any way that test data could be included ?

Thinking how great it would be to see what you can do with that data and then let us loose with the same data as a way of hands on.

Either way I would like to say a huge thank you for all your hard work :BangHead:

Andy

Given the fact your average PC costs about £3-400 and your average mac costs over £1k its hardly suprising they have some better quality parts is it?

Sorry I didnt want to comment on this but it had to be said.

No that's absolutely correct - you pay for what you get, I have no issues with that at all.

My problem is that when I'm at work I some times try to do a little image processing, if I'm not busy of course! :BangHead: but its just an exercise in frustration! because both the laptop and my separate DELL 19" LCD display show different colours!!!

If a put my MAC-book pro on the desk as well then we have three different colours, the MAC Book being of course the correct one.

Its been said before, but this is the real reason photographer, graphical artist and web develops use them, for their colour definition and rendition.

OSX Lion comes out today with some new features for only 29.99:hello2: can wait to upgrade. Apple has a complete different business model. The Hardware is expenses but worth it (QUALITY) and upgrades are extremely reasonable...

Ok 3rd video (blending modes & layers) is up now - same page ..... anything else yall need/want? I probably won't be able to get to them until the weekend, so you've got a few days for requests :BangHead:

Even I'm looking forward to see this one when I get home tonight...

Archived