Eyepieces for a Dob?

I've recently bought a Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX 10" dob and by and large I'm pretty happy with it, but I think I need some better eyepieces! I'm getting slightly frustrated by having something pass through the field of my 10mm plossl eyepiece every 10 seconds and having to constantly nudge the scope to keep the object in view. I'm aware the 10mm is probably a bit high (and the plossl's field isn't probably the widest) and I know I need maybe one or two eyepieces, perhaps a 13mm and a 17mm? I'm looking at the Baader Hyperion range as it looks fairly good value for money and the field of view looks pretty wide on paper. Has anyone got any good suggestions on eyepieces for Dobs? And before anyone says it, I can't afford TeleVue Naglers!!

I've got the Hyperions in my Dob. IMO they are pretty good value for the money, they can be a bit picky on eye position but for £80 and in a short f# scope there isn't too many other options (that I coud find! :D:)).

Welcome to the forum BTW! :)

Consider that these monster eyepieces ( a HYPERION looks the size of a hand grenade) with their numerous lens elements are not able to produce images as bright and sharp as simpler eyepieces; this rule holds true for those pricey NAGLERS too.

It's possible to get eyepieces with fewer lens elements than the above that will give a reasonably wide field,say,60 degrees without soaking up too much light.

Archived