Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PST imaging process advice

I have had a PST for some time and have taken the odd photo with a G9 compact camera. I have now bought an adaptor so that I can photo with my Canon 50D and the Hyperion zoom.

Is there a web site that takes you through stage by stage using photoshop? I have heard that you split the image into R,G and B channels but I cannot say that I fully understand the process.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mark

Hi Mark,

this is a step by step I've put together based on ferreting around the net and gathering information. I think it's a reasonable start to processing.

PST Solar Imaging PhotosbyKev

That looks good, Kev. Very clear. I think the camera of choice is a big chip fast frame device, Luminera for the wealthy, DMK41 for the lower orders! I can't get my CCD camera to accept the llight from a Lunt LS60 without blooming. I suppose extending the FL with a powermate or suchlike might get it under control.

Your de-colourize-re-colourize routine will be what the OP is after, I think. Nice one.

Olly

I've started to apply a Gaussian blur to soften the noise artifacts, something like 2 pixel radius on a large tif file, rather than sharpen mainly the noise.

for normal sharpening I would look at the image @ 50% magnification and apply 100, 0.2, 0 several times until the image looks slightly too sharp and then undo a couple of steps, this should be done on the image as the final step before saving and after any resizing

Archived