Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Focuser

To be honest - it might not be worth it with the 130mm newtonian. Any improvement is likely to cost more than the whole scope. You could try second hand and might get a bargain. The "For Sale" section will be available after 1 month membership and 50+ posts. Try astro buy/sell website meantime.

There are tension adjustment screws on the underside of your current focuser - you might make it better tweaking those. Some folks try a wide rubber band on the focuser knob for more grip and better control. Or you could fit a plasitc Marmite top on the knob to enlarge the circumference. Has been known to work. Or you can take it to bits and file/sand the grip rail (but that's a bit technical for me lol) :)

Might look at re working the rail. The teeth are worn out on it. I might try adopting the rubber band idea. I might try and fix a piece to the worn out section and see if it grips.

Thanks for your reply. Given me a few ideas

Archived